If you’ve got a trampoline, you’ve already talked to your kids about trampoline safety, but a refresher sure couldn’t hurt!
With school starting, your backyard is sure to be the after school hot spot for all the neighborhood kids. You may trust your children to know the rules, but other kids are probably not well-versed in trampoline safety, and that puts them, and you, in danger.
So, to keep everyone happy and hopping we’ve put together a list of safe trampolining tips and rules. We encourage you to print out the rules and place them by your trampoline for everyone to see, that way there won’t be anyone who doesn’t know the rules.
Trampoline Safety Guidelines
- Children ages 5 and under should not be permitted on a trampoline.
- Provide adult supervision and adult spotters around the edge of the trampoline.
- Never allow more than 1 person to jump at a time.
- Do not permit gymnastic exercises or stunts, such as somersaults or flips.
- Never allow children to bounce off the trampoline. Encourage them to stop bouncing, walk to the edge, sit and slide off.
- To prevent young children from getting on without supervision, do not leave a ladder or chair near the trampoline.
- Never permit children to play on a wet trampoline.
- Place your trampoline in a fenced area to avoid being liable for injuries caused by your trampoline acting as an attractive nuisance. Failing to take proper precautions regarding an attractive nuisance could make you ineligible for a standard homeowners policy.
To stay safe, follow these trampoline equipment tips:
- Purchase a round trampoline (rectangular trampolines provide a dangerously high bounce).
- Enclose trampolines with high trampoline safety nets around the perimeter.
- Do not use the trampoline without shock-absorbing trampoline safety pads that completely cover its springs, hooks and frame.
- Place the trampoline away from other play areas, buildings and trees.
- Use soft materials like sand or wood chips to provide a softer surface around and underneath the trampoline.
- Carefully review the safety materials included with your trampoline purchase.
Rules to print:
Err on the Side of Caution!
Remove shoes and socks
Empty pockets completely
Bend knees to stop bounce
Only bounce in the center of the trampoline
Be aware of those around you
Do not interrupt another’s bounce
Do not jump off of trampoline
Remain in control of your body at all times
No more than ___ at a time on the trampoline